Custom Handmade Footwear
If you're looking for a unique pair of shoes, that you won't find anywhere else, that fits you perfectly - you're in the right place!
My specialties are: creating works of wearable art, small scale collaborations, accomodating larger sizes, gender neutral styles, and working with sustainable materials. Pretty much any shoe you can think of, I can probably make - I'll be bringing that thought to life, and working directly with you every step of the way.
so, what happens from here?
I'll be taking your measurements by either coming to you, you visiting the studio, sending you detailed instructions, or via Zoom meeting. These measurements will be used to create a pair of shoes perfectly fitted to your feet. My custom sizing ranges from 25-49EU - odd sizing pairs are possible too.
*Please keep in mind - I can accommodate a range of narrower and wider fittings however I am not a podiatrist and cannot assist with complex fitting requirements. If you have previously had custom lasts made by an orthopedist or podiatrist, I can work with these.
Then I'll be asking you to send over some reference images, drawings or even just words, so we can shape those ideas into some amazing shoes for you.
Once I've got your measurements and we're on the same page about the design, I'll create a mockup - this is a rough version of the shoe to test the fit and general design before we get onto the real thing. I'll either ask you to come into the studio to test them out, post them to you or visit you if time permits.
As I get started on making them, I'll be in touch to let you know how they're going, and if there are any hiccups or design changes we need to make. Custom orders can take anywhere from 4-12 weeks to complete, depending on the design and fit requirements.
This is a very time consuming labor intensive process, with many stages, so it does come at a cost - starting at $600 for sandals and starting at $1000 for shoes and boots. If custom lasts are required, these come at an extra cost starting at $250. Payment plans are available.
I'm an experienced shoemaker with an appreciation for unique aesthetics and high quality traditional craftsmanship. I have created custom shoes for customers nationally and internationally, from Italy to the USA. Want to know more? Read here.
• small scale collaboration with full range of 20 styles
• created for the Nicol + Ford runway at Australian Fashion Week
• vintage fabrics and trims
"The product itself is amazing! Exactly what I wanted (which was a little odd). The process was perfect! The care and thought that went into my wants and needs is what made the outcome what it was. No detail was insignificant and requests for things Matea hadn’t done were met with honesty and excitement. Couldn’t be happier."
* * *
• custom narrow fit
• combination nappa and vegetable tanned double lined upper
• blake stitched vegetable tanned leather sole
• handsculpted EVA soling
• custom digital print fabric uppers with metallic kangaroo leather details
• eucalyptus fibre padding
• wide custom fit
• dupion silk upper with diamonte buckles
• handcrafted solid pine heel
• vegan friendly using vinyls, rubber and vintage surplus leather
• faux snakeskin flame details
• elastic slip-on
• handcrafted australian pine soling
• neoprene upper
• white rubber grip
• vegetable tanned kangaroo leather upper
• handsculpted chunky cork platform
• brass detail buckle
• detail hand cut windows
• vintage olive leather
• traditional derby contruction
• inspired by Vivienne Westwood's Roman 3 Strap Sandals
• custom fluro pink and green kangaroo leather
• custom fit size 43
• handsculpted layered cork platform
• reflective vinyl panelling
• hardwearing rubber soling
• custom sludge soling finish
• full leather upper with handstitched toe detail
• custom wide fit
• holographic covered cork platform
• all leather upper and lining
• comfortable foam and leather insole
• custom hand dyed kangaroo leather upper and lacing
• hardwearing white rubber two part soling
• soft green leather lining
• salvaged leather patchwork
• vegetable tanned moulded leather toe cap and shin plate
• full leather sole with solid brass detailing
• custom digitally printed apron and strap using recycled bottle fabric
• leather upper, lining, insole and sole
• hidden elastic for comfortable fit
• leather upper and lining
• zip-up with steel o-ring
• leather randing and soling